Thursday, September 11, 2008

Like So Many Others...

Like so many others, I want to post my thoughts about the anniversary of today. 

I was sitting at the computer, randomly looking at emails, when Katie came up and asked me, "Mom, what were you doing on September 11th, Dad was at Bank of America." Immediately I was rushed back to the morning of September 11th. I had given birth just 5 weeks earlier to Katie. Bryce had left for work and I was getting some much needed rest. The phone rang and the words, "We're at war!" rang from the other side. It was my mother, and I was so confused. I went into the living room and turned on the TV, and then, like so many others I sat in awe for minutes on end. The only time I moved was to retrieve the crying baby from her bed. I held her and wondered, what kind of world has she been born into? 

I tried to explain the feelings and thoughts I had, and as I spoke I could see the visible affect it was having on Katie. I showed her videos of the planes, and in so doing was reminded of that day. Katie was so moved that she sat and wrote a one page story to take and share with her class tomorrow. I had forgotten the ensuing folklore of the face in the smoke, and whether it was there or not, I began to have religious thoughts. About how easy it is to forget and then accept. 

I love that I have the knowledge of the Gospel. That I know that God is in control, and He knew why and when and what. And I am so grateful that He is still in control. 

How can we even think to give up this fight for freedom? After all these years, the war must rage on, and we must feel that burning in our bosom, as we did on that day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that's so neat that katie was so moved. good thoughts nikki, and thanks for the compliment!

beth said...

I had the same feeling of what kind of world my child and now children will grow up in. TC was 5 months old. Oh, how time flies.

Megan Marie said...

we went private with our blog. Email me at Stu05007@byui.edu (so I can get your email address) if you'd like an invite. Thanks!