Friday, September 5, 2008

The College Phenomenon

Okay, so you would think that after living here for a couple of years, I would be accustomed to the "College Phenomenon" that occurs three times a year here in Rexburg. You can tell who the locals are, we are the ones who plan our grocery shopping around the "weekend that the college kids get back." And if we happen to run out of bread, milk, or tampons we choose to pay the extra $17 dollars and go to Walgreens instead of brave the traffic at Wal-Mart. Why just today I lost my mind and went to Wal-Mart. The aisles were full of toilet paper, irons, twin sheets in a beautiful array of green, blue and red, and of course, Malt-O-Meal cereals. And should you be looking for a quick meal, forget about Ramen Noodles, Mac and Cheese, or Hamburger Helper. Last semester I went in to find Wheat Thins and the entire shelf was gone. Not a single box left. While people who haved lived here for years just accept this as normal, I, for one, cannot wait to escape. 

3 comments:

Jana said...

My condolences on living in a college town...and my apologies for my sister in particular, who confessed to buying every package of mac and cheese at your grocery store!

www.themeanestmom.blogspot.com

Keri_B said...

So true...my favorite thing about Rexburg was when all the students went home for the breaks and we stayed! It was so quiet everywhere and all the lines were short. I do miss things about being there, but back to school craziness is not one of them!

Greg and Michelle said...

Amen sister! That's all I have to say.